Friday, May 23, 2008

Whip Crack

I must again apologize for the fact that I haven't been updating, it's just been a rough couple weeks and I haven't been able to motivate myself to sit down and write. But thats no excuse... I saw this movie last night, midnight show of course, but I was too tired to review it when I got home, and then ended up sitting on it all day. The movie is, of course...


Indiana Jones
and the
Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls


Of course the movie doesn't have a box office yet, I fear that it will be much lower than this movie deserves, I will update on Monday, I can give you my word on this. EDIT Whoops! Almost forgot to update the box office. Indy 4 opened at an amazing $100,137,835 and has gone on to make $298,347,101 worldwide already, and it's only been a week!

The movie is about, of course, Indiana Jones and his latest adventure. Taking place in 1957 it is about ten years since the last film, leaving Indy a much older man. He is captured by Commie Russians to aide in the search for the hidden kingdom of gold, which legend tells if a stolen crystal skull is returned, will give great power to the person who brought the skull.

The movie is, in my opinion, really great. I loved it from start to finish, the interaction between Harrison and Shia made me laugh so many times, and the aging adventurer, archaeologists, and part time college professor Jones still kicks as much ass as he does in previous films.

But, moving past that, I know this movie will not be well received. I was discussing this with a friend, and he put it very well... "Which is better: Magical Religious Artifacts, or Magical Alien Artifcats?" He followed by saying some people cannot take both. I know it will turn off some casual fans, and downright enrage Indy fans to see so much reference to Alien beings... But when I saw it, I saw what was really going on...

Indiana Jones was based off of the old Action Comic Serials from the 1940s, where gung ho adventurers would traverse the jungles with nothing more than a machete, a side arm, and a rope. Where these treasure seekers could lay out a man with one well placed sock in the jaw, and often saved a new damsel in distress with each new adventure.

This is the core of what Indy was, these serials. But when the 1950s came about, Serials were about Men from Mars, alien beings from distant worlds and dimensions. The serials took a new aspect of sci-fi and government conspiracies. I found it amazingly entertaining to see Indy follow suit as he moved from the brazen adventures of the 40s to the sci-fi terrors of the 1950s.

This is a movie that will probably split the fan-base in two, those who love and hate it... And it's a shame, because it really was a great film.

A side note, I will be updating more often hell or high water, I have a stack of new movies to review including Rambo, The Eyes, and yet another Asylum flick, plus maybe a Movie Industry Rant if I can get my thoughts down straight.

No comments: