Monday, May 26, 2008

First Rambo

So this is the second down, expect a review of The Eye either tonight or tomorrow...


RAMBO

Rambo did pretty decently in the Box Office,. It had an opening weekend of $18,203,876, not phenomenal but decent enough... It made $42,754,105 here in the states and topped at $103,893,083 world wide. It's kinda weird that it made more money out of the States than in.

John Rambo, now living in Thailand, is approached by a group of missionaries looking to aide the people of Burma, devastated by the local power Than Shwe. After dropping them off, the village is soon attacked and the missionaries are taken captive. Now John Rambo and a group of Mercenaries must go in and save them.

I must make a confession that I've never actually seen a Rambo movie (more accurately a First Blood movie). Oh I've seen bits and pieces of each film but never all the way through. I never dug the Action Hero movie where a man can walk into the line of fire of fifty men and come out unscathed. It's the reason I've always been a bigger Die Hard fan, as John McClane gets thrashed in each film.

I went into this film expecting a glossy action flick, and when the credits rolled I let out a half hearted 'meh.' The film just didn't hold together for me. The plot was lame, but I expected that... The enemy soldiers were all cruel and sadistic bastards to the point of making Hitler look like an okay guy... But I do understand that there are sick deranged people who do rule over impoverished people...

Maybe the thing that really killed the film for me was that there were only three or four actual action sequences IN the movie, and this includes the explosive finale. I went into this movie EXPECTING the plot to be dull, the enemies to be worse than Nazis, but also with the expectation of a big action sequence or explosion evert five to ten minutes, but it didn't turn out that way.

I don't know, maybe seeing all the other films would have made me enjoy this more. In fact thats the only real people I can suggest this to, people who have seen all the other films, IE fans. If you're uninitiated into the ways of John Rambo you're not going to be drawn in by this one, thats for sure. Rambo releases tomorrow, thats May 27th 2008.

No comments: