Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Wake Up

Two movies in one day, I'm on a roll. This movie though, is not of the aforementioned pile I got last week, no this is from the pile I got today. It's a movie I walked by every day at worked, but never realized what it was. Now I do, so without further interruptions I bring you...


AWAKE

Awake seems to have gotten a lot of stick from some critics, though it was never made available to critics before release, it went on to make $14,223,684 domestic and $15,228,733 worldwide.

The premise is simple enough... Clay Beresford is a billionaire business man in his early twenties, he's in love with a girl, and could not ask for anything more. Theres just one problem...He has a weak heart, and a rare blood type. When a donor heart finally comes in he is put under for the operation. It's soon after he realizes he is still awake, completely paralyzed, and that his doctors plan to kill him.

I'm not exactly sure why the critics at large seemed to deem this movie a failure, though not all of them did... Roger Ebert said he was completely absorbed by the film. I'm not going to pretend this is the greatest film of all time, but it was good. The story was involving, the characters genuine, and Hayden Christian does a wonderful job in the lead as Clay. It's not a film that will change your life, nor does it pretend to be. It's a movie that has a story that it tells well.

Definitely worth a watch. It's unique and doesn't pretend to be anything that it's not.

No comments: