Friday, May 02, 2008

Iron Geek

As promised to you by me last night, I have a new review of a new movie that is actually in theaters. It released today (May 2) and I was able to catch a Midnight Showing. It is none other than...


Iron Man

As it is a fresh from the pot new release there are no numbers yet for Iron Man, though this Monday I will get them and be able to post them accordingly. I am sure this will be the top grossing movie of the weekend.
EDIT: Numbers are in, and man they're impressive. Iron Man went on to make $
104,250,000 Domestic and $95,500,000 foreign, making its total world wide gross $199,750,000. Thats nearly two hundred million... and it's only the opening weekend!

Iron Man. It's yet another Comic Book movie. We're getting a lot of them this year and I couldn't be happier because more is on the way. The synopses, for those of you who haven't read the comic is this; Tony Stark, head of Stark Enterprises a leading arms seller to the US Government is gunned down while making a presentation of one of his companies latests weapons. He finds himself a captive of terrorists, and severely wounded. When freed he finds a new inspiration to life and builds himself a high tech battle suit to protect people from the weapons he himself created.

I have to admit... When I first heard about this movie and that Robert Downy Jr. was slated to play Iron Man, I was hesitant. Robby boy is a great actor don't get me wrong, and I wasn't trying to be slated by his past... But could he handle...Iron Man? Could he be Tony Stark?

The answer is yes. In fact I am always shocked that I didn't see it sooner. There is probably no man better to play a cocky egomaniac playboy like Stark better than Jr. The man comes off with this cocky yet charming attitude and comes off as really funny.

The whole movie is great. The effects of the Iron Man suit are amazing and seamless, it looks truly wonderful and at the same time looks like it's there. The action is fast paced yet easy to follow and involving. The story comes together nicely and while not being an expert on Iron Man, I believe they stayed true to the source material.

I will be very glad to see a franchise of sequels come from this. Though I do believe Marvel has something up their sleeves with these new summer releases... I cannot be quoted on this, but with the Hulk coming out this summer and a Captain America film announced, I believe the Avengers movie will be a direct Movieverse crossover.

Go see the film. And remember to stay for the End Credits.

No comments: