Sunday, March 21, 2010

Mr. Fantastic

Alright so I think this will not be the only review I do this week as I have a few movies I might want to talk about this week. Also I have to get to a list of requests from Rick, who wants me to review Horror movies, consisting of all Slasher Flicks. I'll see how many rentals I have left over after grabbing the new stuff later this week, Rick.


Fantastic Mr. Fox

Fantastic Mr. Fox follows the story of Mr. Fox, a fox who was once a professional Farm Thief, giving up his trade when he learns he is to become a father. Twelve Fox Years later he moves his family to a new home with the secret goal of returning to stealing. When three farmers decide to kill Mr. Fox, a standoff between them and all the woodland creatures begins.

And here we have the third movie with George Clooney in a row. I'm beginning to think the man cannot make a bad movie... I am then of course reminded of Batman and Robin. Fantastic Mr. Fox is quite honestly amazing. It's a strange experience watching the film since it's just so off beat, in such a good way. It's so subtle in it's humor, downplaying the audacity of talking animals. Everything seems almost muted, it doesn't jump out at you like a lot of family films. This movie isn't loud, wildly colorful, or fast moving and that's what gives it it's charm.

You obviously cannot talk about this movie without talking about the animation. It's all done in stop motion, which is all just beautiful. The aesthetic of earthy browns and fiery oranges give the film scenery that is just amazing to watch. All the characters seem intensely detailed, this being one of the first stop motion films I've seen with realistically moving eyes that didn't seem just painted on. The fact that a majority of the characters are covered in fur make the fact that this movie is as smooth as it is just makes me applaud the film makers.

I think the reason Fantastic Mr. Fox works so well, and maybe why it seems so odd, is that it doesn't just jump into a plot, and when it does it doesn't just pursue it till the end. The film first allows the audience to settle into a world, gently nudging the plot forward in the background before it comes crashing into the foreground. It's a layered film, with many themes and aspects to explore. Midlife crisis, family rivalry, sense of community, and risk vs. security are all core aspects to a larger whole.

This is a film that you need to see, at least once. It's beautiful, well written, and extremely funny. It comes out on the 23rd so if you see it on the shelf, pick it up. You won't be dissapointed.

2 comments:

Rick said...

ok you've convinced me to watch this movie & YAY for seeing if you can get my list :) no pressure & no rush

Manda said...

Moar posts.